Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering or a related field is required. Five years of professional level technical writing experience is required; experience in developing and creating technical project specifications for new construction and rehabilitation projects in accordance with the Construction Specifications Institutes’ guidelines is preferred.
Highly effective planning, verbal, writing, analytical, and problem solving skills required. Advanced skills in personal computer applications required. Licensed Professional Architect or Engineer is preferred; licensure may be in any state, but a Georgia license is preferred. Professional Membership in the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) is required. CSI certification as a “Contract Document Technologist” (CDT) or the ability to obtain certification within two years of being hired is required. In lieu of a degree, directly related experience may be substituted on a year for year
Under general supervision from the Chief of Specifications or the Senior Specifications Writer, writes, edits, and reviews construction specifications and assists others in the preparation of specifications. Under the direction of the Chief of Specifications or the Senior Specifications Writer, maintains and updates documents in the procurement and contracting portion of the project manual as required by the MARTA Legal and Contracts and Procurement Groups.
Under the direction of the Chief of Specifications or the Senior Specifications Writer, updates the MARTA Guide Specifications (MGS) sections and Project Manual Administrative Procedures. Reviews and coordinates specification edits prepared by engineers and architects for accuracy, product information, and proper applications of products. Researches, obtains, and maintains information necessary for specification preparation. Develops and maintains specifications documents in accordance with the format and organization developed by the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Researches, develops, prepares, and implements Project Manual technical specifications for projects initiated by MARTA departments, General Engineering Consultant, and other contracted architectural and engineering firms. Coordinates the preparation and assembly of project manuals and preparation of addenda and revisions to the time of bid opening.
2. Manages, develops, and implements MARTA Guide Specifications. Maintains and updates MARTA Guide Specifications. Creates new technical specification sections for MARTA projects when required.
3. Updates and maintains documents in the procurement and contracting portion of the project manual as required.
4. Reviews and coordinates specification edits prepared by engineers and architects for accuracy, product information, and proper applications of products.
5. Researches, investigates and advises designers and consultants on the use of new construction and rehabilitation materials, products, and systems. Disseminates new information to other MARTA departments as necessary. Assists in organizing materials used in seminars sponsored by manufacturers.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
May oversee the activities of Specifications Technical Specialist position.
Areas of Emphasis:
· Previous experience as a lead or supervisor
· Supervisor Technical & Specifications Writer
· Experience w Speclink or a database software
· May be required to facilitate training
Number of Openings
Both Internal and External
To apply for this job email your details to MARTA_Diversity@itsmarta.com